Conrad Murray files appeal in Michael Jackson death
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's doctor who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, has filed an appeal, claiming there were multiple legal errors at his trial.
Murray's lawyer Valerie Wass argues in a 230-page appellate brief that there was insufficient proof that Jackson died of an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol administered by Murray.
The appeal claims Jackson may have administered the overdose to himself, which the defense argued during the trial.
Murray is currently serving a four-year sentence for Jackson's death on June 25, 2009. The pop superstar died just days before the start of his "This is It" comeback tour in England.
Wass said that because of Jackson's great fame, his doctor was used as an example by the judge who sentenced him to the highest term for involuntary manslaughter. She also called the prosecution theory that Jackson was hooked up to an IV drip of propofol and left alone "absurd, improbable and unbelievable."
Murray will be eligible for release in October after serving half his sentence. Wass suggested that even if his conviction is upheld, that his sentence should be reduced.
The attorney general's office, representing the prosecution, has 30 days to respond to the appeal.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, legal, famous death, entertainment
- Reseda shooting injures 2 on Canby Avenue 7 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE 1 min ago
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
18 min ago