Michael Jackson AEG trial: Jury, alternate jurors selected
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Alternate jurors have been selected in the wrongful death lawsuit Michael Jackson's mother filed against concert promoter AEG.
After 13 days of jury selection, six men and six women were selected from a pool of more than 100 candidates. The jurors include a personal banker, a nurse, a software engineer and a teacher.
"We like the jury. It's a good, diverse jury," said Brian Panish, attorney for the Jackson family.
On Tuesday, four men and two women were picked to be alternates.
Katherine Jackson is suing AEG, claiming it was negligent in hiring Dr. Conrad Murray, who was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2011 in connection to the singer's death. Attorneys have pegged the potential damages at $40 billion, but jurors will have to determine any amount the family might receive.
AEG denied any wrongdoing. Neither AEG nor Jackson had signed Murray's contract before the singer died.
The trial is expected to last about three months. Many potential jurors were eliminated because of the projected length of the trial.
Some evidence excluded from Murray's trial, including Jackson's financial and medical records, could be used in the civil case, possibly offering new insight into the singer's life before his death on June 25, 2009, at the age of 50.
Opening statements are scheduled to begin on Monday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
michael jackson, famous death, celebrity, legal, entertainment
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 19 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico 11 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 32 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Lighting up historic Broadway Theatre...
38 min ago