Rolling Stones play surprise concert at Echoplex ahead of tour
ECHO PARK, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Rolling Stones fans from the Los Angeles area got some satisfaction Saturday night when the legendary rockers played a surprise show at a small venue.
Tickets for the sold out show at the Echoplex in Echo Park were $20 apiece, a fraction of what tickets to their "50 and Counting" tour will cost when it launches May 3 at Staples Center. The lowest-priced tickets were going for $250 each.
Hundreds of fans lined up outside the El Rey Theatre earlier Saturday for a chance at the tickets, which were dispensed through a lottery system. Buyers were limited to one ticket, and were required to show a government-issued ID, pay with cash, wear a wristband with their name on it and be photographed. Their names were verified at the Echoplex, which has a capacity of about 700.
"I was on Twitter this afternoon and I just saw a tweet that was just like, Stones concert ... so I grabbed my dad, we ran down to the El Rey, got in line and we just got in the lottery and won," said Eve Dorfman.
Rumors of the spontaneous show spread across social networks this week after the band teased the appearance on their Twitter accounts.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
music news, echo park, entertainment, amy powell
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena 4 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit 14 min ago
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii 28 min ago
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Young patients travel from LA to 'North Pole'
53 min ago