'Pain & Gain' muscles into weekend box office top spot
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Pain & Gain" muscled its way to the top of the weekend box office, raking in $20 million in the film's debut.
Michael Bay's true crime-tale stars Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson and Anthony Mackie. The film follows three Miami bodybuilders, who get caught up in a kidnap and ransom scheme that starts strong but goes horribly wrong. It's based on a real-life story.
Tom Cruise's sci-fi adventure "Oblivion," last week's No. 1, dropped to the second spot with $17.4 million.
In third place was "42" with $10.7 million. Rounding out the top five were "The Big Wedding" with $7.5 million and "The Croods" with $6.6 million.
The top films of the weekend were:
1. "Pain & Gain," $20 million.
2. "Oblivion," $17.4 million.
3. "42," $10.7 million.
4. "The Big Wedding," $7.5 million.
5. "The Croods," $6.6 million.
6. "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," $3.6 million.
7. "Scary Movie 5," $3.5 million.
8. "Olympus Has Fallen," $2.8 million.
9. "The Place Beyond the Pines," $2.7 million.
10. "Jurassic Park" in 3-D, $2.3 million.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
movie news, entertainment
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire 36 min ago
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees