DreamWorks buying AwesomenessTV for about $33M
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Dreamworks Animation is buying AwesomenessTV, a YouTube teen network, for about $33 million.
The deal, which is expected to close this month, could end up being worth as much as $117 million depending on how well AwesomenessTV does over the next two years.
The teen-oriented channel features talk shows, reality and scripted programs and sketch comedies. The company has released a movie with AMC Theaters and expects to have a television show on Nickelodeon.
Its network of more than 57,000 YouTube channels has 14.4 million subscribers. The more than 1 million videos on the network have been viewed 809 million times.
The announcement came a day after DreamWorks announced quarterly earnings that beat analysts' expectations on both revenue and profit, although both showed a decline.
Shares of DreamWorks, which is based in Glendale, were up $1.44, or 7.5 percent, to $20.72 in late trading Wednesday.
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested 46 min ago
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke