DreamWorks buying AwesomenessTV for about $33M
GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Dreamworks Animation is buying AwesomenessTV, a YouTube teen network, for about $33 million.
The deal, which is expected to close this month, could end up being worth as much as $117 million depending on how well AwesomenessTV does over the next two years.
The teen-oriented channel features talk shows, reality and scripted programs and sketch comedies. The company has released a movie with AMC Theaters and expects to have a television show on Nickelodeon.
Its network of more than 57,000 YouTube channels has 14.4 million subscribers. The more than 1 million videos on the network have been viewed 809 million times.
The announcement came a day after DreamWorks announced quarterly earnings that beat analysts' expectations on both revenue and profit, although both showed a decline.
Shares of DreamWorks, which is based in Glendale, were up $1.44, or 7.5 percent, to $20.72 in late trading Wednesday.
- Malaysian official: Missing jet hijacked 11 min ago
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake 51 min ago
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)