Leonardo DiCaprio talks lead role in 'The Great Gatsby'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It's a book many of us read or were assigned to read in junior high or high school. And it's been made into a film three times before. Now, director Baz Luhrmann puts his spin on the F. Scott Fitzgerald classic "The Great Gatsby."
Leonardo DiCaprio takes on the iconic role of Jay Gatsby in this newest version of "the Great Gatsby."
Leo remembers watching the 1974 film starring Robert Redford. He first read the book in junior high and says he is fascinated that the novel has been able to endure the test of time.
"It's not only a novel that people still talk about and discuss and argue over to this day but it takes on different shapes and different forms when you become a different person and the novel that I remember reading in junior high is vastly different than the one that I picked up as an adult," said DiCaprio.
DiCaprio is captivated by the richness of the characters created by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and how well the writer seemed to forecast the future.
"He's talking about class structure and wealth and a disjointed value system in America and it's this cycle that keeps sort of repeating itself throughout time, throughout our country, throughout the world," said DiCaprio.
"You know, there's a lot of pressure when you're dealing with a novel of this caliber, a piece of literature that people know so intimately and are so connected to so you know there's no one scene or one line that you take lightly," said DiCaprio.
"The Great Gatsby" also stars Carey Mulligan and Tobey Maguire. It's rated PG-13 and is in theaters now.
movie news, celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition
- High-speed chase leads to arrests, 5 injuries
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report