Jean Stapleton, 'All in the Family' actress, dies at age 90
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Actress Jean Stapleton, known for playing Archie Bunker's wife Edith in "All in the Family," has died at age 90.
Stapleton's son, John Putch, confirmed her death to ABC News Saturday. Stapleton died Friday of natural causes at her home in New York City surrounded by friends and family.
Stapleton's family addressed her death in a statement.
"Being the children of a beloved Mother on Television means sharing the spirit of who JEAN STAPLETON was with her friends and fans," the statement said. "It is with great love and heavy hearts that we say farewell to our collective Mother, with a capital M. Her devotion to her craft and her family taught us all great life lessons."
Stapleton earned eight Emmy nominations and won three awards during her eight-year run with "All in the Family." The CBS series ranked as the No. 1-rated program for an unprecedented five years in a row.
DEVELOPING: We will add more details to this report as they become available.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, entertainment
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- Southern California heat expected to die down 19 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians