Miss Connecticut wins Miss USA contest in Vegas
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- A field of 51 beauty queens from every U.S. state and the District of Columbia competed for the 62nd Miss USA title Sunday.
Erin Brady of South Glastonbury, Conn., won the beauty pageant at the Planet Hollywood hotel-casino after strutting in a white sparkly gown and answering a question about the U.S. Supreme Court's decision upholding widespread DNA tests. Asked if she agreed with the decision, Brady said she did.
Brady gets the crown and a New York apartment for one year. She is expected to spend her title reign on a nationwide speaking tour and raising breast and ovarian cancer awareness, the organization's official cause.
Unlike the rival Miss America pageant, Miss USA doesn't ask its queens to perform a talent or choose a charity mission.
The winner will represent the United States at the Miss Universe pageant in the winter.
Last year's Miss USA, Olivia Culpo, won that international crown, becoming the first Miss USA to ascend to Miss Universe in 16 years. Meriwether, who had been first runner-up, took over for her for the remainder of the year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 1 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport 1 min ago
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- SoCal boy's cancer fight inspires
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 13 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 26 min ago
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'