Miss Connecticut wins Miss USA contest in Vegas
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- A field of 51 beauty queens from every U.S. state and the District of Columbia competed for the 62nd Miss USA title Sunday.
Erin Brady of South Glastonbury, Conn., won the beauty pageant at the Planet Hollywood hotel-casino after strutting in a white sparkly gown and answering a question about the U.S. Supreme Court's decision upholding widespread DNA tests. Asked if she agreed with the decision, Brady said she did.
Brady gets the crown and a New York apartment for one year. She is expected to spend her title reign on a nationwide speaking tour and raising breast and ovarian cancer awareness, the organization's official cause.
Unlike the rival Miss America pageant, Miss USA doesn't ask its queens to perform a talent or choose a charity mission.
The winner will represent the United States at the Miss Universe pageant in the winter.
Last year's Miss USA, Olivia Culpo, won that international crown, becoming the first Miss USA to ascend to Miss Universe in 16 years. Meriwether, who had been first runner-up, took over for her for the remainder of the year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 30 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 54 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping 57 min ago
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini
- Grand Central Market has comfort food galore
13 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
4 min ago