Miss Connecticut wins Miss USA contest in Vegas
LAS VEGAS (KABC) -- A field of 51 beauty queens from every U.S. state and the District of Columbia competed for the 62nd Miss USA title Sunday.
Erin Brady of South Glastonbury, Conn., won the beauty pageant at the Planet Hollywood hotel-casino after strutting in a white sparkly gown and answering a question about the U.S. Supreme Court's decision upholding widespread DNA tests. Asked if she agreed with the decision, Brady said she did.
Brady gets the crown and a New York apartment for one year. She is expected to spend her title reign on a nationwide speaking tour and raising breast and ovarian cancer awareness, the organization's official cause.
Unlike the rival Miss America pageant, Miss USA doesn't ask its queens to perform a talent or choose a charity mission.
The winner will represent the United States at the Miss Universe pageant in the winter.
Last year's Miss USA, Olivia Culpo, won that international crown, becoming the first Miss USA to ascend to Miss Universe in 16 years. Meriwether, who had been first runner-up, took over for her for the remainder of the year.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments
- Burglar caught on video watching baby sleep
53 min ago