Michael Jackson's drug-use discussed during wrongful death trial
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Jurors in the Michael Jackson wrongful death trial on Thursday heard from a number of experts on the pop star's drug-use, including drugs for pain, anxiety and insomnia.
From vials and pill bottles found in the singer's bedroom to the drugs found in his body, evidence presented in court showed Jackson struggled to sleep.
Were the effects of Jackson's insomnia visible to AEG executives who are being sued Katherine Jackson? Her attorneys called a sleep disorder expert.
Dr. Charles Czeisler showed graphics to explain how the brain depends on down time to restore the body. He has consulted for astronauts living in the space station, NBA star Shaquille O'Neal, the Rolling Stones and others - all who work and travel around the clock.
The plaintiffs assert that Jackson suffered from a massive build-up of sleep deficiency and that affected his mood, his appetite and his sense of balance. The plaintiffs claim AEG should have noted the symptoms and that Jackson suffered from chills and wrapped himself in blankets, had bouts of paranoia and had trouble grasping dance moves, according to emails to AEG executives.
The remedies Jackson sought, according to testimony, were the pain killer Demerol, anti-anxiety meds and propofol, the sedative that was administered by his doctor, Conrad Murray, which lead to Jackson's death.
The plaintiffs allege that AEG pressured Jackson to perform and threatened to withhold Murray's pay if he didn't restore Jackson's health.
AEG execs have testified that they never heard of propofol until after Jackson died and that the star had kept his nightly treatments secret.
The defense has also shown evidence to the jury that when Jackson's health problems surfaced, AEG executives notified the people who were closest to Jackson: his personal managers.
legal, celebrity, court case, michael jackson, entertainment, miriam hernandez
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 16 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 5 min ago
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer 46 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)