James Gandolfini autopsy confirms actor died of heart attack - friend
ROME (KABC) -- An autopsy on James Gandolfini confirmed the "Sopranos" actor died of a heart attack, with no evidence of substance abuse, said family spokesman Michael Kobold.
Kobold told reporters on Friday that Gandolfini's body has been released to a funeral director and that the actor's family was working with the Italian government to get through red tape in order to get the body back to the United States as soon as possible.
This process can take up to 10 days, but Kobold said the actor's family was hoping to have the body back in the U.S. by mid-week. A funeral is tentatively planned to take place June 29 in New York, at the latest.
Gandolfini died Wednesday night. His body was discovered in a Rome hotel room by a family member. He was 51 years old.
He had arrived in Rome Tuesday and spent the day with his son. They visited the Vatican and dined in the hotel. They also dined together Wednesday night as they waited for the arrival of Gandolfini's sister, Leta.
Asked if Gandolfini had a history of heart problems, Kobold said he was healthy.
"There's nothing out of the ordinary. It was a heart attack. It was a natural cause," he said. "There was no foul play, no substance abuse. None of that."
On Thursday, Dr. Claudio Modini, head of the emergency room at the Policlinic Umberto I hospital in Rome, said the actor suffered a cardiac arrest. Sudden cardiac arrest can be due to a heart attack, a heart rhythm problem, or as a result of trauma.
Leta went to the morgue on Friday to formally identify the body.
Gandolfini was to have helped preside over the closing ceremony on Saturday of the Taormina Film Festival in Sicily. The festival instead is organizing a tribute to him.
His portrayal of criminal Tony Soprano in HBO's landmark drama series "The Sopranos" was just one facet of his rich legacy as an actor in movies and plays.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
famous death, entertainment
- Malaysian official: Missing jet hijacked 5 min ago
- Westbound 134 Fwy closed due to police activity 42 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Brush fire burning near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
43 min ago