James Gandolfini's funeral plans set for Thursday
ROME (KABC) -- Funeral services for 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini have been set for Thursday.
The actor's funeral service will be held at the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in New York City at 10 a.m.
ABC News learned his body was expected to arrive in New York Sunday on a charter plane just after 9 p.m. ET.
Gandolfini's family has been working with authorities in both Italy and the United States to repatriate his body as soon as possible, something they say they're extremely grateful for.
"We the family would like to thank the United States government, especially Secretary Kerry and our friends at the State Department for helping us in this time of need," said Michael Kobold, a spokesman for the Gandolfini family. Kobold also thanked Italian officials for their cooperation.
Gandolfini died Wednesday night in Italy. His body was discovered in a Rome hotel room by a family member. He was 51 years old.
An autopsy report on Friday confirmed that the actor died of a heart attack, with no evidence of substance abuse.
The actor had been headed to Sicily to appear at the Taormina Film Festival, which paid tribute to him Saturday.
ABC News contributed to this report.
famous death, entertainment
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 43 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 30 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 35 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors