Chris Brown charged with misdemeanor hit-and-run in Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- R&B singer Chris Brown is facing criminal charges in connection to a traffic accident last month, according to the Los Angeles city attorney's office.
Officials say misdemeanor charges of hit and run and driving without a valid license were filed against Brown for a minor accident that happened on May 21 in the San Fernando Valley.
Brown is due in court for an arraignment hearing on July 15. Brown could face up to a year in jail if convicted.
The singer is still on probation for assaulting his then-girlfriend Rihanna in 2009.
Brown spoke out about the charges through a series of Tweets, saying, "It's not a hit and run if u get out the car, exchange information (who has NO DAMAGE to either cars). This is really ridiculous."
"She contacted the cops thinking of a payday from Chris Brown when I followed the proper procedures," Brown Tweeted. "My lawyers will be contacting you. I will not stand for this bullying and yellow journalism!"
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape 2 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Crates of mail found abandoned in Hollywood
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- Good Friday: Pope remembers those who suffer 15 min ago
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Sub scours ocean for missing Malaysian jet
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- Lighting up historic Broadway Theatre...
21 min ago