Kris Kross rapper Chris Kelly died of drug overdose - official
ATLANTA (KABC) -- Chris Kelly, member of the 1990s rap duo Kris Kross, died of a drug overdose, a medical office investigator said.
According to a toxicology screening, Kelly had a mixture of drugs in his system when he was pronounced dead on May 1, said Betty Honey of the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office in Atlanta.
The 34-year-old was found unresponsive on a living room couch at his Atlanta home. Paramedics tried to resuscitate him to no avail, and he was later pronounced dead at an area hospital.
Honey said she did not know which specific drugs Kelly had used before his death. However, a police report from the night of Kelly's death said his mother told investigators her son used cocaine and heroin the night before he died and had a history of drug abuse.
Kelly, known as "Mac Daddy," was one half of Kris Kross, which hit the music world in 1992 backed by music producer and rapper Jermaine Dupri after he discovered the pair at a mall in southwest Atlanta. Kelly performed with Chris Smith, who was known as "Daddy Mac." The duo wore their clothes backward as a gimmick, but they won over fans with their raps.
Their first and most successful song was the 1992 hit "Jump," which became a chart-topper in the United States and around the world. The two were never able to match the tremendous success of their first song, though they had other hits like "Warm It Up," and "Tonite's tha Night."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
music news, famous death, celebrity, entertainment
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate? 50 min ago
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics 45 min ago
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Photos: 'Modern Family' home selling for $2.35M
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)