Chris Brown's probation revoked after accident, allowed to remain free
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A judge revoked Chris Brown's probation on Monday after reviewing the details of an alleged hit-and-run accident involving the R&B singer, but the 24-year-old was allowed to remain free on his own recognizance.
Brown was charged with misdemeanor hit-and-run and driving without a valid license in connection with a minor car accident in the Toluca Lake area on May 12. A woman in the car with Brown provided her driver's license, according to a police report, but Brown did not provide his until his lawyer had it delivered to the other driver two days later.
Brown spoke out about the charges through a series of Tweets, saying, "It's not a hit and run if u get out the car, exchange information (who has NO DAMAGE to either cars). This is really ridiculous."
Brown was ordered to return to court Aug. 16. If an agreement is not reached between the prosecution and defense, a hearing could then be set to determine if Brown violated his probation.
The singer was scheduled to be arraigned on the misdemeanor counts Monday in Van Nuys, but the hearing was postponed until July 23 amid reports he had reached a financial settlement with the alleged victim.
Brown has been on felony probation for the 2009 beating of former girlfriend Rihanna. If he is eventually found to have violated his probation, he could land behind bars for as long as four years.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 6 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Malibu whales caught on drone camera
41 min ago