Chris Brown's probation revoked after accident, allowed to remain free
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A judge revoked Chris Brown's probation on Monday after reviewing the details of an alleged hit-and-run accident involving the R&B singer, but the 24-year-old was allowed to remain free on his own recognizance.
Brown was charged with misdemeanor hit-and-run and driving without a valid license in connection with a minor car accident in the Toluca Lake area on May 12. A woman in the car with Brown provided her driver's license, according to a police report, but Brown did not provide his until his lawyer had it delivered to the other driver two days later.
Brown spoke out about the charges through a series of Tweets, saying, "It's not a hit and run if u get out the car, exchange information (who has NO DAMAGE to either cars). This is really ridiculous."
Brown was ordered to return to court Aug. 16. If an agreement is not reached between the prosecution and defense, a hearing could then be set to determine if Brown violated his probation.
The singer was scheduled to be arraigned on the misdemeanor counts Monday in Van Nuys, but the hearing was postponed until July 23 amid reports he had reached a financial settlement with the alleged victim.
Brown has been on felony probation for the 2009 beating of former girlfriend Rihanna. If he is eventually found to have violated his probation, he could land behind bars for as long as four years.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains 51 min ago
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final 16 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping 9 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved 17 min ago
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues 32 min ago
- Photos: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matthew M. at 'Wolf' event