A Flock of Seagulls band equipment stolen in Downey
DOWNEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A famous 1980s band had its van and musical equipment stolen from a Downey parking lot.
Surveillance video shows a thief stealing a van loaded with equipment from the band A Flock of Seagulls. The incident happened early Sunday morning outside a Comfort Inn after the band had played a gig.
"For us, it's going to ruin our shows. Our gear is specifically programmed for us," said lead singer Mike Score.
Best known for their 1982 hit "I Ran," the new wave band has been rocking audiences ever since. On Sunday night, the band performed in Woodland Hills, but they did it with rented equipment, not their treasured guitars, drum kit and keyboard.
"We did the best. The show must go on, and we got a great response from the audience. But it's still very uncomfortable," said lead guitarist Joe Rodriguez.
Based on the surveillance video, which the band has posted on social media in hopes of cracking the crime, the suspect knew exactly what he wanted.
"It's just sad to see somebody just walk up on the tape, and just break the door open and climb in and steal it," said Score.
The suspect got out of a car, walked up to the white 1999 Ford E-350 van with Florida plates, and in a matter of seconds, is inside and soon driving away with more than $70,000 worth of equipment and stage clothes.
For Score, it's an especially difficult loss as the hard drives full of his nearly completed solo album are now gone.
"That's like a year and a half worth of work that I can't replace," said Score.
Rodriguez said he feels sick inside.
"It gives you a sick feeling inside knowing that that equipment that you own and used to play shows and that you've been using for...20 years have just disappeared," he said.
entertainment, leanne suter
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 23 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought 42 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 30 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 1 min ago
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite 25 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour