'Piolin' accused of sexual harassment
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Sexual harassment accusations have been leveled against Spanish-language radio broadcaster Eddie "Piolin" Sotelo, whose show was abruptly canceled last week with no explanation.
An attorney for Alberto Cortez, a writer, performer and producer on Sotelo's show, sent a letter to Univision in April alleging aggressive and unwanted sexual advances, including groping, by Sotelo. The letter asks Univision to reach a settlement with the accuser or a lawsuit would be filed.
The attorney's letter also accuses Sotelo of forcing "unrealistic and unlawful demands" on employees, and accuses Sotelo of ordering the falsification of letters to lawmakers in support of immigration reform.
Univision suddenly ended Sotelo's show last week and started playing music in place of the Mexican-born disc jockey known for helping propel immigrant supporters into the streets en masse in 2006 to protest an anti-illegal immigration bill. No reason was given for the decision to yank the program.
Sotelo, who was recently elected to the National Radio Hall of Fame, played corny jokes and pranks on his morning drive time show but also hosted politicians including President Obama to discuss issues such as immigration reform.
In 2007, Sotelo traveled to Washington to present lawmakers with 1 million letters in support of immigration reform. He often spoke on his program of his own experiences as an immigrant crossing the border illegally as a teenager and later obtaining papers and becoming an American citizen.
Sotelo, whose nickname means "Tweety Bird," also voiced roles in "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" and other movies.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company 52 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report