'Real Housewives of New Jersey' stars plead not guilty
NEWARK, N.J. (KABC) -- Two stars of "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" pleaded not guilty to several federal fraud charges on Wednesday.
Teresa and Guiseppe "Joe" Giudice appeared in a Newark federal court. The couple is accused of exaggerating their income while applying for loans before their show debuted in 2009, then hiding their fortunes in a bankruptcy filing after their first season aired.
Neither defendant spoke before, during or after the five-minute court proceeding, and their pleas were entered by their attorneys.
They were charged last month with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, bank fraud, making false statements on loan applications and bankruptcy fraud.
Both face hundreds of years in prison and millions of dollars in fines if convicted. Joe Giudice is an Italian citizen and could be deported if convicted, prosecutors said two weeks ago. Feinstein said Wednesday his client came to the U.S. as a 2-year-old and wasn't aware that he wasn't an American citizen.
A trial date has been set for Oct. 8, but attorney Henry Klingeman, representing Teresa Giudice, said he expected the trial to be pushed back into 2014 due to the number of charges and complex nature of the case.
The two were required to surrender their passports, and their travel was restricted to New Jersey and New York.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, court case, fraud, legal, entertainment
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
34 min ago