Dick Van Dyke's car catches on fire on 101 Freeway; actor OK
CALABASAS, Calif. (KABC) -- Hollywood legend Dick Van Dyke narrowly escaped a fiery emergency on the 101 Freeway in Calabasas.
California Highway Patrol officers said they received a call about a smoking radiator Monday afternoon. The CHP said the 87-year-old actor pulled over to the right shoulder on the eastbound 101 Freeway near Parkway Calabasas.
Smoke was seen coming from the actor's Jaguar. Another motorist stopped, opened the car door and Van Dyke got out on his own.
The car later caught on fire. Officers and firefighters arrived at the scene quickly because there had been another vehicle on fire on the westbound side of the freeway.
"He was shocked, like I'm sure I would be if I'm watching my vehicle catch fire and go up in flames," said CHP Officer Leland Tang.
Van Dyke did not suffer any injuries. His burned out vehicle was towed away from the scene.
Van Dyke, best known for "The Dick Van Dyke Show," has had a long film and television career. He appeared on "The Carol Burnett Show," and more recently in the films "Night at the Museum" and "Curious George."
celebrity, entertainment, melissa macbride
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 16 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 11 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 1 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis