Kanye West charged with misdemeanors in LAX scuffle with photographer
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Kanye West faces charges of battery and attempted grand theft following a scuffle with a photographer at Los Angeles International Airport.
The key evidence in the case is video shot by a celebrity photographer Daniel Ramos, who confronted and questioned West as he left the airport July 19.
Ramo filed a lawsuit. He claims the rap star grabbed him, pulled him down and wrestled his camera to the ground during the incident.
Arraignment is scheduled for Oct. 10 but West is not required to appear if he has an attorney.
Prosecutors declined to file felony charges against West, but city prosecutors decided to pursue misdemeanor charges. Each carries a penalty of up to six months in jail or a $1,000 fine.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
caught on tape, celebrity, legal, entertainment
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain 28 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate 12 min ago