Hong Kong Disneyland to add Iron Man attraction
HONG KONG (KABC) -- One of Marvel's most popular superheroes is coming to Hong Kong Disneyland. The park is adding an Iron Man-themed area.
In an announcement on Tuesday, the park said the Iron Man Experience is going to be based in Tomorrowland of Hong Kong Disneyland. It's the very first attraction based on a Marvel character.
Guests will be able to see Tony Stark's "Iron Man" suits in various stages of progression as well as other innovations. They'll also be able to take flight with Iron Man on a thrill ride, where the storyline pits the hero against evil forces in the streets and skies of Hong Kong. Guests will also be able to take photos with the action character himself.
The attraction is expected to open in late 2016.
The Iron Man addition is the latest in a series of expansions aimed at boosting visitor numbers at the struggling park, which has failed to draw as many visitors as expected due to its small size.
The park was just 311 acres when it opened, making it the smallest of Walt Disney Co.'s parks worldwide. Some $465 million in new attractions added over the past two years, including rides based on the "Toy Story" movies, have added a quarter to the park's size.
Disney bought Marvel for $4.2 million in December 2009. "Iron Man 3" was the No. 2 movie in China in the first half of the year, raking in 722 million yuan ($118 million), according to Chinese state media.
Hong Kong's Disneyland is a joint venture between the Hong Kong government, which owns 52 percent, and Walt Disney, which owns the rest.
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
disney theme park, entertainment
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 57 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 40 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 30 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break