Hugh Jackman's one-man show raises $1.85M
HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Actor Hugh Jackman raised $1.85 million for the Motion Picture & Television Fund during a birthday benefit concert Saturday.
The star put away his Wolverine costume and spent his 45th birthday at Hollywood's Dolby Theater where he sang and danced for 4,500 guests.
Jackman performed a variation of his recent Broadway show and even performed a tap-dancing routine during "Singin' in the Rain" at the one-man show titled "Hugh Jackman One Night Only."
He also talked about his family, sang a tribute to his wife and shared music and images of his native Australia.
"This is probably the most narcissistic way to spend your birthday," he said after the show. "I chose my favorite songs and told stories about my life."
Jackman said he donated his birthday performance to the Motion Picture & Television Fund because it offers "that unconditional helping hand you get in a family." The organization provides health care and other related services to entertainment-industry workers and retirees.
Celebrity guests at the two-and-a-half-hour included Cybill Shepherd, Bryan Singer, Darren Criss, Terrence Howard and songwriter Carole Bayer Sager.
At the end of the show, Jackman auctioned off an electric Fiat, a pair of Wolverine claws, and two sweaty undershirts he wore during the night's performance. The shirts fetched $11,000 each.
The general public was able to purchase tickets via Ticketmaster prior to the show.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, hollywood, entertainment
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 31 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere