Casey Kasem receiving adequate care, attorney says
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A judge says conservatorship is not an urgent need for famed radio host Casey Kasem because he is receiving adequate care.
Attorney Samuel Ingham told the judge Tuesday that the ailing Kasem is being cared for daily, but that he still lacked information about Kasem's doctors and treatments.
Kasem is suffering from advanced Parkinson's disease. Julie Kasem filed for a temporary conservatorship last week, saying Kasem's wife is preventing her and her siblings from seeing their father and from making decisions about his medical care.
An attorney for Kasem's wife, Jean, urged the judge to reject Julie Kasem's petition outright and saying the efforts by her and her siblings were hurting his client and the radio host. He said a 2007 document that appointed Julie Kasem as an overseer of her father's medical care had been superseded by 2011 estate planning documents, which Grossman filed in court on Tuesday.
The judge refused to dismiss the case, noting that Ingham had requested additional information about the radio host's medical care. The judge also noted that based on court filings and attorneys' representations, it did not appear that any court intervention was necessary to ensure Kasem was receiving proper care.
The judge has appointed an independent doctor to review Kasem's medical records and to meet with him and report back to the court before a Nov. 19 hearing.
Casey Kasem, 81, gained fame with his radio music countdown shows, "American Top 40" and "Casey's Top 40," and was also the voice of Shaggy in the cartoon "Scooby Doo."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, legal, entertainment
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts