Casey Kasem case: Judge rejects temporary conservatorship request
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Casey Kasem is receiving good medical care and a conservatorship is not necessary, a judge ruled on Tuesday.
Kasem's daughter Julie was seeking temporary conservatorship for her father, but Superior Court Judge Lesley Green rejected that effort. The judge cited reports by investigators and doctors who said the ailing radio personality was receiving good medical treatment in his home.
Green urged lawyers to reach a visitation agreement that would allow Kasem's adult children to see their father, who is suffering from advanced Parkinson's disease.
Kasem's children have said they are being blocked from seeing their father by his wife, Jean. However, Jean's lawyer Marshall Grossman says the children have rejected a proposal to allow them to visit their father each month and on major holidays.
"Jean has always been willing to provide visitation to these adult children, but under reasonable provisions," said Grossman.
Outside court on Tuesday, the attorney for daughters Julie and Kerri say the terms are too restrictive.
"More people want to see him in the family and they want to spend more time with him," said attorney Andrew Katzenstein.
Green acknowledged that there is "bad blood" in the family, but said a doctor who has evaluated Kasem reported he wants to see his children.
Julie Kasem's attorney said his client and siblings were pleased to learn their father was being well cared for and hoped that a visitation arrangement could be worked out. He added that the effort for a conservatorship was to make sure Kasem was being properly looked after and to allow his children to see their father.
Negotiations over the visitations ended Tuesday without agreement, but attorneys say they will meet again next week. They say they're making progress.
Casey Kasem, 81, gained fame with his radio music countdown shows, "American Top 40" and "Casey's Top 40," and also was the voice of Shaggy in the cartoon "Scooby Doo."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, legal, entertainment
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 15 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 30 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft 33 min ago
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video