Chris Brown probation hearing: Singer avoids jail, ordered to rehab
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Chris Brown appeared in court for another probation hearing on Wednesday. He does not have to go jail, but a judge imposed strict new requirements on the singer's probation.
Brown ignored questions from reporters as he entered the Los Angeles Criminal Courts building. The probation hearing stems from a 2009 assault on his then-girlfriend Rihanna.
But the hearing took on added significance after Brown's arrest last month at a Washington, D.C. hotel, where he is accused of assaulting a man who tried to get in a photo with him.
Los Angeles County prosecutors on Wednesday stopped short of asking for his probation to be revoked. Instead, Brown and his attorney, Mark Geragos, agreed to have Brown's probation modified.
The 24-year-old R & B singer will have to take part in a 90-day residential rehab program, complete 24 hours a week of community service, submit to periodic drug testing, and take medication prescribed by his doctor. Brown must remain in Los Angeles County unless it's so that he can attend legal proceedings in Washington.
Meanwhile, the courts will prepare a report on the incident in Washington, and it will be presented to a judge on Dec. 16. Brown denied hitting the man but was charged with misdemeanor assault.
celebrity, legal, arrest, fight, washington d.c., entertainment, robert holguin
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done 8 min ago
- Playa del Rey home break-in caught on camera 35 min ago
- Beverly Hills High School gunman threat false 42 min ago
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February 8 min ago
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine' 15 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry