'Anchorman' Ron Burgundy co-anchors N. Dakota newscast
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (KABC) -- As the release of "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues" approaches, actor and comedian Will Ferrell reprised his role as Ron Burgundy and stirred up quite a buzz with a number of unexpected appearances this weekend.
The always classy but fictional news anchorman surprised viewers in Bismarck, North Dakota for a 30-minute broadcast Saturday and delivered quite the show.
Dressed in his signature rust-colored three-piece suit and a striped tie, Ferrell read stories off the teleprompter, punctuated them with exaggerated eye blinks and engaged in witty banter with weekend anchor Amber Schatz and the rest of the Bismarck news team.
Ferrell also clowned around, popping into Schatz's screen while she read a story and asking her if she was married. When she said no, Ferrell replied, "Well I am, so don't get any ideas."
On Sunday, Ferrell joined Canadian broadcast TSN to kick off the country's Olympic curling trials.
The "Anchorman" star donned a kilt to the delight of fans in Winnipeg and even tried his luck on the ice. While speaking with reporters, Ferrell said he felt right at home in Winnipeg and said the name of the city was Latin for "a small tundra bunny who lives in the hole on the hill."
He also said that the sport of curling is something he's always been passionate about.
"We used to do a curling segment on the news in San Diego. No one watched it," said Ferrell. "In fact, viewership plummeted 33 percent during those times but I stick with it and told our producers we've got to stick with curling. It's the future."
The San Diego television man has appeared in a few Dodge Durango commercials. In October, Ben & Jerry's created a limited ice cream honoring Burgundy. The flavor was dubbed "Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch."
"Anchorman 2" hits theaters on Dec. 18. The sequel to the 2004 film centers on a fictional news team's sexist reaction to the arrival of an ambitious female reporter.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, movie news, entertainment
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights 1 min ago
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report