'Anchorman' Ron Burgundy co-anchors N. Dakota newscast
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (KABC) -- As the release of "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues" approaches, actor and comedian Will Ferrell reprised his role as Ron Burgundy and stirred up quite a buzz with a number of unexpected appearances this weekend.
The always classy but fictional news anchorman surprised viewers in Bismarck, North Dakota for a 30-minute broadcast Saturday and delivered quite the show.
Dressed in his signature rust-colored three-piece suit and a striped tie, Ferrell read stories off the teleprompter, punctuated them with exaggerated eye blinks and engaged in witty banter with weekend anchor Amber Schatz and the rest of the Bismarck news team.
Ferrell also clowned around, popping into Schatz's screen while she read a story and asking her if she was married. When she said no, Ferrell replied, "Well I am, so don't get any ideas."
On Sunday, Ferrell joined Canadian broadcast TSN to kick off the country's Olympic curling trials.
The "Anchorman" star donned a kilt to the delight of fans in Winnipeg and even tried his luck on the ice. While speaking with reporters, Ferrell said he felt right at home in Winnipeg and said the name of the city was Latin for "a small tundra bunny who lives in the hole on the hill."
He also said that the sport of curling is something he's always been passionate about.
"We used to do a curling segment on the news in San Diego. No one watched it," said Ferrell. "In fact, viewership plummeted 33 percent during those times but I stick with it and told our producers we've got to stick with curling. It's the future."
The San Diego television man has appeared in a few Dodge Durango commercials. In October, Ben & Jerry's created a limited ice cream honoring Burgundy. The flavor was dubbed "Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch."
"Anchorman 2" hits theaters on Dec. 18. The sequel to the 2004 film centers on a fictional news team's sexist reaction to the arrival of an ambitious female reporter.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
celebrity, movie news, entertainment
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise 36 min ago
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Malaysia air force: Jet may have turned back
- Business leaders concerned about LADWP 53 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- 39-year-old man found dead in Apple Valley
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- 5-alarm fire destroys San Francisco building 17 min ago
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer 15 min ago
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book