Top movies of 2013: The year in review
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- As we near the end of 2013 and take a look back at the past year on the big screen, we've seen plenty of sequels, family-friendly animation, and superheroes. We should see an overall box office record by December 31, with movie earnings hitting just under $11 billion for the first time ever.
"Iron Man 3" bombarded the box office theaters starting in May and never looked back. The film ended the 2013 as the top grossing movie of the year. The Marvel adventure took in $409 million in North America.
"The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" has only been in theaters since November 20 and has clearly conquered the year-end box office. It's earned $380 million so far. The franchise wraps up next year.
Third place for 2013 goes to some popular little yellow creatures. Seems moviegoers couldn't get enough of those Minions, and that propelled "Despicable Me 2" to earnings of $367 million.
Flying high for fourth place: the reboot of the Superman saga, with new "Man of Steel" Henry Cavill helping to take in $291 million.
The creatures of "Monsters University" continued to show their popularity, with the prequel bringing in $268 million.
"Gravity," Sandra Bullock and George Clooney's venture into space, pulled in $254 million to date, giving it a sixth-place finish.
Rounding out the year's top 10:
- "Fast and Furious 6": $238 million
- "Oz: The Great and Powerful": $234 million
- "Star Trek Into Darkness": $229 million
- "World War Z": $202 million
movie news, entertainment, david ono
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video