Robin Roberts comes out as gay, thanks girlfriend in Facebook post
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- 'Good Morning America' co-anchor Robin Roberts publicly came out as gay in a Facebook post on Sunday.
In the Facebook post, Roberts remembers the one-year anniversary of reaching 100 days after her bone marrow transplant.
She thanked her supporters saying, "I am grateful for my entire family, my long time girlfriend, Amber, and friends as we prepare to celebrate a glorious New Year together."
The post is the first time she's made public mention of her girlfriend, Amber Laing, a massage therapist from the San Francisco Bay Area. Roberts' post was confirmed by ABC News spokeswoman Heather Riley.
ABC News' Jeffrey W. Schneider released a statement Sunday:
"We love Robin and Amber, who we have all known for a long time. We were so touched by Robin's Facebook message today and so thankful for all the incredible support she has in her life."
The couple has been together for a decade.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
abc, television, celebrity, entertainment
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 48 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry