Charles Dickens film 'The Invisible Woman' a challenge for Ralph Fiennes
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In the new drama "The Invisible Woman," Ralph Fiennes stars as famed writer Charles Dickens. The author was revered for his body of work, but his personal life was another story.
The married Dickens had a longtime affair with a much younger woman. Fiennes, who also directs the movie, realized to tell the story truthfully, he'd have to show Dickens, warts and all.
"If you tell the story of Nelly Turnan and Dickens, you're going to have to tell the story of the way Dickens left his wife and the cruelty of that," said Fiennes. "I feel a bit protective of Dickens because I kind of like him, but I see there is this unhappy, unattractive moment in his life. But if you...you have to be careful not to forget all the other things that he did."
Doing double duty as director and actor proved to be a challenge for the Oscar winner.
"It was kind of mad to want to do both, but you can do it, you just need to have a lot of time and a great support system," he said. "The days when I was not playing Dickens were great. It always was a bit of a head squeeze, like my head in a vice when I was doing both on one day. On days when I didn't have to be Dickens, and there were few of them, it was always, 'Ah, now I can just focus on directing and the other actor and the camera, whatever.'"
Fiennes has been acting for 25 years, and whether he's playing a quieter role like Charles Dickens, or filling the screen with the big budget glory of Harry Potter's nemesis Lord Voldemort, he's happy as long as he has a character to explore.
"To have a chance to play across a spectrum of kinds of roles or kinds of movies or theatre for that matter, it's great, it's great to have different arenas," he said.
"The Invisible Woman" is rated R and is in theaters now.
movie news, celebrity, entertainment, george pennacchio
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital 50 min ago
- LA Marathon: Ethiopian runners sweep race 30 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- San Dimas boat crash leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 1 min ago
- Los Angeles Marathon 2014 street closures
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- William Clay Ford, Lions owner, dies
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks