Harold Ramis of 'Ghostbusters,' Caddyshack' dies at age 69
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Harold Ramis, best known for his role in "Ghostbusters" and the comedic genius behind "Groundhog Day" and "Caddyshack," has died at the age of 69.
Ramis died at his Chicago-area home Monday morning surrounded by family and friends, according to a statement from United Talent Agency.
According to the statement, Ramis died from complications related to auto-immune inflammatory vasculitis, a condition he battled for the past four years. The rare disease involved a swelling of the blood vessels.
"His creativity, compassion, intelligence, humor and spirit will be missed by all who knew and loved him," the agency said in a statement.
His best known acting role was as Dr. Egon Spengler in the 1984 film "Ghostbusters," which he co-wrote with Dan Aykroyd. He got his Hollywood breakthrough in 1978 when he co-wrote "National Lampoon's Animal House."
Born in Chicago, Ramis got his start in comedy at the famed Second City improve theater troupe in 1969.
He also went on to write the 1981 film "Stripes" and wrote and directed the 1999 film "Analyze This." Most recently, he wrote, directed and co-produced the 2009 film "Year One," starring Jack Black and Michael Cera.
Ramis is survived by his wife Erica, sons Julian and Daniel, daughter Violet and two grandchildren.
ABC News contributed to this report.
famous death, entertainment
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest 50 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears 26 min ago
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report