Food quiz: Which has more calories?
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Nutrition facts on food products make it so much easier to make healthy choices. But what about eating out? It's not always easy to spot the food with less fat and fewer calories. Take this food quiz to test your knowledge.
If your goal is to stay in shape - even if you eat on the run - it can be a real challenge. A Consumer Reports Food Quiz finds what looks like a healthier choice may not be.
For instance, which would you say has more fat and calories -- three Big Macs or Uno's Deep Dish Individual Mushroom Pizza? Uno's Web site shows the Deep Dish Individual Mushroom Pizza has 2,070 calories and 159 grams of fat, versus three Big Macs that total 1,620 calories and 87 grams of fat.
"People need to pay attention to serving size. On Uno's Web site, the information says that an individual pizza is actually three servings," said Maxine Siegel of Consumer Reports.
Next up, Wendy's large chili versus Wendy's Chicken and BLT Salad with croutons and honey mustard dressing. The chili only has 330 calories and 9 grams of fat, while the salad has 650 calories and 44 grams of fat.
Finally, which has more fat and calories -- a Krispy Kreme chocolate iced doughnut with sprinkles, or a Dunkin' Donuts corn muffin? The corn muffin has 510 calories and 18 grams of fat -- far more than the doughnut's 270 calories and 12 grams of fat.
"People shouldn't always make the assumption they know the healthier choice. Very often the chain restaurants will have the nutritional information right there, or they can check it out online on the Web site," said Siegel.
Finally, no matter where you eat out, there are a few rules of thumb to follow. If you're ordering a salad, skip the fancy toppings and order the dressing on the side. This is almost 200 calories mostly coming from fat.
You might have savings in your wallet, but certainly not your waistline.
food coach, lori corbin
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds