Malibu café offers affordable, healthy sweets
MALIBU, Calif. (KABC) -- You say you want to give your Valentine something special, but money's a bit tight? The ChocolateBox Café in Malibu offers something healthy and sweet that won't break the bank.
"I like the chili pepper hot chocolate because it has a little bit of a kick and it's like true chocolate," said Megan Bee of Malibu.
A regular at the ChocolateBox Café, Bee treats herself weekly to a spicy cocoa while her daughter takes dance class because there are so many fun options.
"I'm sure I could make the rounds but I kind of stick with what I like," said Bee.
"You can personalize it, make it spicy, make it minty, make it regular chocolate, caramel, whatever you like," said Leslie Smutz, manager of ChocolateBox Café.
She says the European owners mix their gourmet chocolate with other flavors. Something that is popular overseas.
"We've got ginger, we've got cinnamon, chili pepper," said Smutz.
And that's not all. You can also get hemp, eucalyptus, mandarin orange, even teas like green and chamomile.
"They take the chocolate shavings, they take the tea flavorings and they mix it together so it's kind of healthy at the same time," said Smutz.
It is healthy. They use chocolate that is 60 to 70 percent cacao, mixed with healthy extras and the milk of your choice: nonfat, low fat, soy, almond, or lactose-free milk for those intolerant.
A small cocoa is $3.95 and a large costs $4.95, with a nice bonus for frequent patrons: buy 10, get one free.
But if cocoa isn't your thing, they also have a variety of low-fat and sugar-free gelatos and yogurt frozen treats as well.
For under $10, you can take a little trip up PCH to the Malibu Lumberyard, have a little sit down and enjoy some sweets with your sweet.
ChocolateBox Café Malibu
3939 Cross Creek Road, Suite C100
Malibu, CA 90263
This weekend, the café is holding a free art exhibit "Romance of Venice." It will feature an exhibit of romantic paintings by Malibu artist Seda Baghdasari.
February 12 - 13
Exhibit hours: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Chocolate Reception: Sunday 2 p.m. - 4 p.m.
valentine's day, malibu/pacific palisades, food, food coach, lori corbin
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'