Toning shoes: toning unclear, injury risk real
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- TV commercials for pricey toning shoes promise you'll get in shape fast just by walking in them. Toning shoe sales totaled more than $1 billion last year, about three times more than the year before. Consumer Reports released important information about those claims.
The commercials for a variety of toning shoes make it look so easy to get in shape.
But, as more people buy them, Consumer Reports medical adviser Dr. Orly Avitzur is hearing more frequently about injuries.
"One patient was breaking in a pair of toning sneakers, and less than 45 minutes after putting them on, felt her ankle turn and a bone break," said Avitzur.
Dr. Joel Buchalter, an orthopedic surgeon, says that's no big surprise. He says toning shoes are intentionally designed to create instability.
"If you take a patient who is elderly or someone who has a balance issue and you put that shoe on them you're looking for disaster," said Buchalter.
But even younger people complain of problems, including the physician's assistant in Buchalter's office who bought some Skechers Shape-Ups.
"I was scrubbed in surgery, wore them for several hours. Had back pain for probably three or four days," said physician's assistant Kara Lombardo.
Skechers instructs people to wear the shoes for short periods of time at first to give the body time to adjust. As for the health benefits? The company says two studies it sponsored show improvement in fitness.
But Avitzur says another study tells a different story.
"An independent study by the American Council on Exercise found no significant difference between exercising in toning sneakers as compared to regular sneakers," said Avitzur.
Bottom line: the health benefit touted in the commercials is uncertain, but the risk of injury is very real. Consumer Reports Health says if you have any balance or medical problems in your legs and feet, avoid toning shoes
health, exercise, food coach, lori corbin
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 22 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 54 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 38 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 51 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
39 min ago