Ways to cut 100 calories out of your day
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Many are on a mission to lose holiday pounds by cutting calories and hitting workouts pretty hard. But some health experts want to put the brakes on that idea, because too much too soon often leads to failure.
<p> We'll show you smart ways to cut 100 calories out of your day to keep weight-loss sensible and long-lasting. </p> <>p> "The best thing you can do is to try and take it slowly and not necessarily focus on the end goal," said Adam Bornstein, livestrong.com editorial director.
Bornstein sees many burn out while exercising fast and furious. He prefers the slow and steady route, having client Bonnie Goff sneaking bits of exercise throughout the day - taking 10 minutes here and there to torch an extra 100 calories.
"It's great. If I could do that at home on my living room floor, I think that's something I can manage," said Goff.
Goff alternates sets of moves that work her body head to toe, increasing heart rate and metabolism in short bursts. She starts with T-pushups, holds a plank and then moves to a side raise. She then progresses to leg-carving lunges and what Bornstein calls an inch worm, which has you walking away from your feet to work abs, back and arms.
Goff is a student, so meals are often from vending machines and food trucks. So dietitian Alyse Levine serves up smart swaps. For starters, always use a small rather than big bowl when it comes to things like cereal and pasta.
"[Save] yourself between a half a cup to a cup of food, which can translate easily into at least 100 calories," said Levine.
Then, rethink your bread. Many people often think that going for a wrap sandwich is a better choice, but they're wrong. Monstrous tortillas can run about 400 calories before filling.
"Some wraps are so big that it's the equivalent of eating five servings of bread," said Levine.
Sliced bread is less, or you can make it topless. You'll save another 100 calories.
Also, broth-based soup, salad and apples help fill you up before the main course.
"There's a Penn State study that showed when people ate an apple about 15 minutes before lunch, they consumed close to 200 fewer calories during that meal," said Levine.
Remember, weight loss isn't a black and white issue. There are hormones and things like emotions that will weigh us down. But if you can remember some of these easy ways to cut 100 calories in a month's time, you'll be 400 calories shy of a pound of fat.
food, health, exercise, food coach, lori corbin
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Greuel, Garcetti face off on Election Day 15 min ago
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Vinny Del Negro out as LA Clippers coach
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Jogger sexually assaulted in Santa Paula
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- 2013 Legacy, Outback recalled for steering issue
- New ACL surgery technique reduces failure rate
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10