Kids exercise while watching TV w/ 123GoTV
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of the most frustrating things for many parents is fighting children about spending too much time in front of the TV. But now, a local mom has come up with a clever solution to the problem.
"It's a product that we created in order to help kids exercise in order to watch TV," said Margie Mullen, creator of 123GoTV.
It took Mullen about 10 years to work the logistics. A child's bike is attached to a bike trainer similar to what cyclists use when practicing indoors. Geared for kids 6 to 12, the trainer will hold up to a 20-inch bike.
The idea is to have kids ride the bike while watching their favorite program.
While they're not exactly peddling for power, the program is designed so the screen goes blank when the peddling stops. The generator attached to the trainer interrupts and controls the video feed.
"I know my kids were kind of racing on it, but I think if you pace yourself, it would be great to be able to do it, and that way, they can kind of exercise while they're watching something instead of just sitting there and doing nothing," said parent Cindy Northcote-Smith.
Northcote-Smith has her kids in after school athletics since P.E. classes are limited, but she finds television to be the most common requested past time at play dates, so it's a nice option.
Tension can be heavy or light. And again, if the back wheel stops, so does the program. There is an off-and-on switch however, so parents can resume regular programming at will.
123GoTV is sold online for $190, although Mullen says there are often sales to keep the program in motion. For more information, visit http://www.123gotv.com.
exercise, exercise equipment, children's health, food coach, lori corbin
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)