Kids exercise while watching TV w/ 123GoTV
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- One of the most frustrating things for many parents is fighting children about spending too much time in front of the TV. But now, a local mom has come up with a clever solution to the problem.
"It's a product that we created in order to help kids exercise in order to watch TV," said Margie Mullen, creator of 123GoTV.
It took Mullen about 10 years to work the logistics. A child's bike is attached to a bike trainer similar to what cyclists use when practicing indoors. Geared for kids 6 to 12, the trainer will hold up to a 20-inch bike.
The idea is to have kids ride the bike while watching their favorite program.
While they're not exactly peddling for power, the program is designed so the screen goes blank when the peddling stops. The generator attached to the trainer interrupts and controls the video feed.
"I know my kids were kind of racing on it, but I think if you pace yourself, it would be great to be able to do it, and that way, they can kind of exercise while they're watching something instead of just sitting there and doing nothing," said parent Cindy Northcote-Smith.
Northcote-Smith has her kids in after school athletics since P.E. classes are limited, but she finds television to be the most common requested past time at play dates, so it's a nice option.
Tension can be heavy or light. And again, if the back wheel stops, so does the program. There is an off-and-on switch however, so parents can resume regular programming at will.
123GoTV is sold online for $190, although Mullen says there are often sales to keep the program in motion. For more information, visit http://www.123gotv.com.
exercise, exercise equipment, children's health, food coach, lori corbin
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probing Target security breach
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds