Best fries found at Wendy's, according to survey
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Crisp, crunchy and salty are three great attributes for a good French fry. If you're taking a trip to a drive thru, wouldn't you like to know which chain has the best spuds?
Consumer Reports surveyed over 4000 of its subscribers to see which fries are the best. Those who rated the fries ate lunch or dinner at least four times a month at a fast-food restaurant.
Surprisingly, McDonald's didn't take first prize. Wendy's Natural Cut fries with sea salt won. Tasters said they are more potato-y and the skins appear brown and earthy-tasting.
Somewhat new to Southern California, Five Guys came in second with fries that have a baked potato taste with the right amount of oil and salt.
In at No. 3 is McDonald's with a thumbs up for browned flavors and crispy texture. KFC'S flavorful wedges with extra crispy coating and peppery kick earned them the fourth place showing.
You can't drive through, but Fuddruckers won fifth for fries. According to the testers, their tater wedges impart a garlic peppery paprika flavor with lightly crispy edges, although some felt the spices aren't distributed evenly.
Coming in sixth, Burger King's spuds were considered low in flavor with the extra coating considered a non-quality component. Testers felt the potato had a fatty taste.
These results came from thousands of diners, but Consumer Reports had two sensory experts hold an official taste and they too concluded Wendy's as the clear-cut winner and Burger King officially last on this list.
Keep in mind that no matter what brand you choose, potatoes are porous vegetables that are dunked in a big vat of oil and are heavily salted. So a Food Coach suggestion? Buy the small and share.
food, consumer reports, food coach, lori corbin
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days 29 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Hustle' lead Globes noms 53 min ago
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage 7 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- LA Lakers talk game on Christmas Day
10 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
22 min ago