Best fries found at Wendy's, according to survey
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Crisp, crunchy and salty are three great attributes for a good French fry. If you're taking a trip to a drive thru, wouldn't you like to know which chain has the best spuds?
Consumer Reports surveyed over 4000 of its subscribers to see which fries are the best. Those who rated the fries ate lunch or dinner at least four times a month at a fast-food restaurant.
Surprisingly, McDonald's didn't take first prize. Wendy's Natural Cut fries with sea salt won. Tasters said they are more potato-y and the skins appear brown and earthy-tasting.
Somewhat new to Southern California, Five Guys came in second with fries that have a baked potato taste with the right amount of oil and salt.
In at No. 3 is McDonald's with a thumbs up for browned flavors and crispy texture. KFC'S flavorful wedges with extra crispy coating and peppery kick earned them the fourth place showing.
You can't drive through, but Fuddruckers won fifth for fries. According to the testers, their tater wedges impart a garlic peppery paprika flavor with lightly crispy edges, although some felt the spices aren't distributed evenly.
Coming in sixth, Burger King's spuds were considered low in flavor with the extra coating considered a non-quality component. Testers felt the potato had a fatty taste.
These results came from thousands of diners, but Consumer Reports had two sensory experts hold an official taste and they too concluded Wendy's as the clear-cut winner and Burger King officially last on this list.
Keep in mind that no matter what brand you choose, potatoes are porous vegetables that are dunked in a big vat of oil and are heavily salted. So a Food Coach suggestion? Buy the small and share.
food, consumer reports, food coach, lori corbin
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed
- Simi Valley attack may be gang-related, police say
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- NorCal beach parking fee fight gets heated
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list