Food allergy-friendly recipes that are tasty
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Eating for most people is a pleasure, but if you're intolerant or allergic to foods, it can make dining a chore - until now. A new cookbook, "The Amazing Almost-Everything-Free Cookbook: Tasty Solution to Highly Restricted Diets," may help provide some relief in the kitchen.
Author Phyllis Pacella came up with the cookbook for her grandson, who was born with autism among other disabilities and he suffered from seizures. His physician recommended a highly-restricted diet -- no gluten, sugar, dairy, citrus, fruits, honey, corn or potatoes.
"I started to get all kinds of cookbooks - gluten-free cookbooks, lactose-free - but putting them together was too complicated. There was nothing that addressed all of his needs," said Pacella.
"We were wondering, 'What could we feed this poor child?" she said. "So my kitchen became a test kitchen and my garbage disposal ate very well for a while because not everything worked right away."
But after trial and error, she perfected recipes with great success.
"After about a year on this diet, now his seizures are completely gone and he's completely weaned off his medications. So it helped him and I hope it helps others," said Pacella.
She uses flour made from brown rice, quinoa, tapioca and coconut to provide carbohydrates easy on those with allergies. She also uses Stevia, Truvia and Splenda for sugar alternatives.
Some of Pacella's recipes include chicken pot pie, coconut cashew crusted shrimp, which can be swapped for chicken, curried rice and crepes made from sweet potato, a lower sugar vegetable than fruit.
Pacella's book gets the thumbs up from autism groups, diabetics, people who are gluten and lactose intolerant, and even those with fibromyalgia. It's available on Amazon for $19.99.
food, recipe, food coach, lori corbin
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 45 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search 22 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India 28 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says