Aerial Fitness: Getting a Cirque du Soleil-style workout
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Watching an aerial fitness class is not unlike Cirque du Soleil. Flowing silks or tissues hang from the ceiling of workout rooms as participants are suspended in mid-air, using slow and controlled movements to strengthen the body.
Invision Fitness in Encino is just one gym offering aerial fitness classes such as aerial yoga, aerial tissue (or aerial silk) and aerial hoop. The latter is the most challenging, so many opt for using tissues or silks first.
Amy Gomez from Tarzana was afraid of heights when she started aerial hoops, but in only 90 days, she has become comfortable exercising while suspended in air.
"The more that you do it, the more you learn to trust yourself and your own body, and trust the instructors," Gomez explains.
Demi Day coaches aerial classes at Invision Fitness. "All those things that you dreamed of when you watched Cirque du Soleil that you thought you'd never be able to do, we like to make that a dream come true for people," said Day.
Day explains that aerial fitness begins with conditioning clients to climb the tissue, silk or hoops into mid-air. "Once they're comfortable standing just off the ground, we teach them how to get up one more step," says Day.
It takes a few classes to get to the top, and then it's on to mastering the foot lock.
"Once you get used to it, there's so many beautiful and exciting things you can do out of that single foot lock, that you're like, 'I want to do it again,'" Day says.
"It gives you a new groove," says Shena Fatemi, the owner of Invision Fitness. "It gives you a new beat, it gives you a new step versus, 'I'm going to go to the gym and I'm going to be there for an hour.'"
Invision offers the first aerial class free. After that, clients can drop-in to a class for $20 or buy a block of classes at a discounted rate.
For more information:
Aerial classes in other locations:
Believe Fitness Studio
113-117 Sierra St
El Segundo, CA 90245
5640 1/2 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
5625 Lankershim Blvd
San Fernando Valley, CA 91601
Hollywood Aerial Arts
3838 W 102nd St
Inglewood, CA 90303
Allure Dance and Fitness Studio
5996 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90035
Xtreme Training Center
2131 Colorado Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90041
5176 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90029
800 W Olympic Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Crunch Fitness - aerial yoga
8000 w. Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA
exercise, fitness, health, food coach, lori corbin
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 31 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 57 min ago
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds 6 min ago
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-Compton deputy fire chief out on bail 38 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
33 min ago