Fun food ideas to get kids interested in eating healthy
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Something funny is going on in the kitchen, but that's a good thing. This message comes from chefs who want to get kids to go ahead and play with their food in order to eat well.
"I have always played with my food from day one, and my mamma didn't make me stop," said Chef Clare Crespo, author of "A Very Veggie World."
So Crespo made it a profession, holding cooking classes for kids.
"I have a child of my own. If you engage the child into the process of making something, then they, one, gain a little skill. They also are more likely to try whatever it is that you make," said Crespo.
Since the dinner table is often a battleground when it comes to eating veggies, she helps disarm your small opponents by having them create pretty pictures out of produce.
For instance, there are the hollowed-out zucchini boats filled with couscous feta mixture with a carrot sail or an eggplant wagon filled with zesty eggplant, tomato and zucchini ragout.
One of the favorites is a lightly oiled, orange and nutmeg spiced baked sweet potato bear claw. Little ones love to add the cashew claws.
Crespo says a hands-on food experience will have them nibbling at their project.
"If they don't, try it again in a couple of weeks. Your taste buds change and adjust," said Crespo.
Crespo's not alone in getting playful with the plate. There are outrageous things you can do with oatmeal. Bill and Clare Wurtzel wrote "Funny Food: 365 Fun, Healthy Silly Creative Breakfasts."
Their "how to" pictorial also provides little nutrition nuggets for kids of all ages to learn. The ideas can wake up finicky eaters with colorful creativity - from the advanced artist to the first-time food stylist.
My attempt to make an apple face most likely won't make their second edition, but the end result was a fun and tasty snack.
food, children's health, food coach, lori corbin
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- FBI busts international sports gambling ring 32 min ago
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)