Best egg sandwich from a fast-food restaurant - taste test by Consumer Reports
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- More and more fast-food restaurants are getting in the breakfast game. But heads up: Some choices can load you up with a day's worth of fat and sodium without giving you a tasty treat.
Consumer Reports recently graded the nutrition of 106 egg sandwiches sold by fast-food restaurants like Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Starbucks and Subway to find the healthiest options with the best taste.
"As far as nutrition goes, just six out of the 106 sandwiches rated 'very good,'" said Erin Gudeux, a Consumer Reports senior project leader.
What about taste? Trained Consumer Reports taste-testers went undercover to at least three different locations of each chain, tasting some of the more nutritious sandwiches.
Of the seven sandwiches tasted, Starbucks' Turkey Bacon and White Cheddar Classic Breakfast Sandwich was just "so-so."
"I found the egg a little low-flavored, and the bacon is salty and smoky," said taste-tester Maxine Siegel. "I'm not getting really any meat flavor."
Equally marginal was Dunkin' Donuts' Egg White Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap. Testers described it as "teeny-tiny," with eggs that were not flavorful.
So which morning pit stop will get you a tasty, nutritious egg sandwich? Subway's Egg White and Cheese on Flatbread is the only sandwich Consumer Reports rated "very good" for taste. Testers found the egg whites flavorful and the toasted flatbread tender.
"It's worth noting that with all the sandwiches, the quality varied from location to location," said Gudeux.
Consumer Reports says don't let your egg sandwich sit for too long because as the sandwich cools, so does the taste.
food, consumer reports, food coach, lori corbin
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 3 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 6 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- TSA expands Pre-Check screening program in LA 52 min ago
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds