Best egg sandwich from a fast-food restaurant - taste test by Consumer Reports
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- More and more fast-food restaurants are getting in the breakfast game. But heads up: Some choices can load you up with a day's worth of fat and sodium without giving you a tasty treat.
Consumer Reports recently graded the nutrition of 106 egg sandwiches sold by fast-food restaurants like Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, McDonald's, Starbucks and Subway to find the healthiest options with the best taste.
"As far as nutrition goes, just six out of the 106 sandwiches rated 'very good,'" said Erin Gudeux, a Consumer Reports senior project leader.
What about taste? Trained Consumer Reports taste-testers went undercover to at least three different locations of each chain, tasting some of the more nutritious sandwiches.
Of the seven sandwiches tasted, Starbucks' Turkey Bacon and White Cheddar Classic Breakfast Sandwich was just "so-so."
"I found the egg a little low-flavored, and the bacon is salty and smoky," said taste-tester Maxine Siegel. "I'm not getting really any meat flavor."
Equally marginal was Dunkin' Donuts' Egg White Turkey Sausage Wake-Up Wrap. Testers described it as "teeny-tiny," with eggs that were not flavorful.
So which morning pit stop will get you a tasty, nutritious egg sandwich? Subway's Egg White and Cheese on Flatbread is the only sandwich Consumer Reports rated "very good" for taste. Testers found the egg whites flavorful and the toasted flatbread tender.
"It's worth noting that with all the sandwiches, the quality varied from location to location," said Gudeux.
Consumer Reports says don't let your egg sandwich sit for too long because as the sandwich cools, so does the taste.
food, consumer reports, food coach, lori corbin
- Oklahoma tornadoes level homes, kill man
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Greuel, Garcetti meet with LA churchgoers
- 2 FBI agents killed in Va. training accident
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- OTRC: Jennifer Lawrence's accused stalker arrested