Gravity Suit may put new spin on weight training
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Build muscle, strengthen bones, burn more calories. Strength training is a good thing for us to do. But is wearing weights better than lifting them?
"We don't like to call it weight; we call them resistance packs. The suit is adjustable anywhere from one up to almost 70 pounds," said Jim Foster.
Foster created the Gravity Suit for athletes. It's helped MMA fighter Brian Warren win bouts, as well as three-time NCAA gymnastics champ Jen Hansen.
"This product will challenge young children, seniors, the most elite of athletes and everybody in between," said Foster.
It can make a big difference, but it's not inexpensive. It costs nearly $600.
Keep in mind, whether you're just trying to stay in shape, lose weight or perfect your sport, don't just run out and grab one. Experts caution you do need to follow some rules.
"The whole idea is not to start with 40. The whole idea is to start with what you can handle," said Foster.
Dr. Andrew Pritikin sees benefits for athletes training for quick efficient movement. But he worries about its use for the general population.
"A lot of leaping, that puts a lot of extra pressure on the spine, on disks, on the knees. That can easily cause damage and pretty good injury as well," said Pritikin.
Every step for every one pound is an extra 10 pounds of pressure on joints. Then there's the compression aspect.
"Well unfortunately most people think the tighter it is, the better. And that is not the case. That would be one big thing that I would be very wary of," said Pritkin.
The company that markets the Gravity Suit also markets it for fighting Parkinsons, arthritis, osteoporosis and more.
But Pritikin says be cautious about claims.
"I'd love for it to work, but they have no scientific work that it actually does," he said.
exercise, exercise equipment, food coach, lori corbin
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 7 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 53 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 27 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 40 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 34 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'