Snacks that will have you feeling your best
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In need of a nosh? Chips are a common go-to snack, but there are so many different foods that can really do a body good while providing great taste.
Currently, there isn't one food that can make you happy, energized and thin, although there are a handful that can do just that if you are adding them to your grocery cart with frequency. There are superfoods that will have you feeling your best.
It's magnesium that has legumes labeled a super star, but they are often overlooked. Magnesium, which is needed in energy production, helps energy molecules get to where they're needed. That's a plus, especially if you exercise.
Did you know that walnuts are one of the best sources of serotonin? Walnuts, hazelnuts and almonds can keep you calm. Serotonin is one the brain chemicals known for brightening mood.
Berries are the produce to pop if you want to boost brain power. It is thought that the antioxidant anthocyanins in berries helps keep the brain from aging.
It's been a long time since the grapefruit diet was popular, but recent research shows, on average, women who consumed grapefruit or it's juice weighed nearly 10 pounds less with lower body fat than non-grapefruit eating counterparts. Grapefruit helps you feel full and satisfied on fewer calories along with providing vitamin C, magnesium and potassium.
Other slimming snacks are those with jackets on. For example, working at getting the shell of a pistachio, the wrapper of a chocolate kiss or even cracked crab can slow down your appetite.
It turns out you can drink down these benefits, too. Green tea slowed weight gain, and that energetic buzz you get from coffee also improves memory.
health, diet, food coach, lori corbin
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 41 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 43 min ago
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange 58 min ago
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling 30 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 23 min ago