Store-bought stuffing that will fool your Thanksgiving guests
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Anyone who hosts Thanksgiving dinner knows how much work it is. And a good store-bought stuffing can help relieve some of the stress in the kitchen.
Consumer Reports tested 11 different stuffings to see if you can cut a few corners and still get tasty results.
Testers looked at ones from Stove Top, Arnold, Pepperidge Farm and Great Value from Walmart, among others. Each stuffing was prepared according to directions, adding ingredients like butter or margarine, celery, onions and broth.
"We want a stuffing to have a fresh broth flavor, not bouillon, and you want it to taste of fresh vegetables, not dried or dried herbs," said Ellen Klosz, a Consumer Reports program leader.
Most stuffings didn't come close to homemade.
"Most of the stuffings tasted of chewy vegetables, crunchy crumbs, dried seasonings, overpowering herbs and a flavor of bouillon," said Klosz.
But testers say there's hope. Two from Pepperidge Farm -- the Herb Seasoned and Cornbread stuffings -- are fresh-tasting, flavorful and moist.
"Both of the Pepperidge Farm stuffings called for fresh ingredients, sautéed onions and celery. It's a little more work, but it's worth it for the taste," said Klosz.
Consumer Reports says both would be a tasty addition to your Thanksgiving dinner, and no one need ever know the stuffing isn't homemade.
thanksgiving, food, holiday, consumer reports, food coach, lori corbin
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots 30 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 55 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report