Store-bought stuffing that will fool your Thanksgiving guests
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Anyone who hosts Thanksgiving dinner knows how much work it is. And a good store-bought stuffing can help relieve some of the stress in the kitchen.
Consumer Reports tested 11 different stuffings to see if you can cut a few corners and still get tasty results. Testers looked at ones from Stove Top, Arnold, Pepperidge Farm and Great Value from Walmart, among others. Each stuffing was prepared according to directions, adding ingredients like butter or margarine, celery, onions and broth. "We want a stuffing to have a fresh broth flavor, not bouillon, and you want it <>taste of fresh vegetables, not dried or dried herbs," said Ellen Klosz, a Consumer Reports program leader. Most stuffings didn't come close to homemade. "Most of the stuffings tasted of chewy vegetables, crunchy crumbs, dri<>ed seasonings, overpowering herbs and a flavor of bouillon," said Klosz. But testers say there's hope. Two from Pepperidge Farm -- the Herb Seasoned and Cornbread stuffings -- are fresh-tasting, flavorful and moist. "Both of the Pepperidge Farm stuffings called for fresh ing
ients, sautéed onions and celery. It's a little more work, but it's worth it for the taste," said Klosz.
Consumer Reports says both would be a tasty addition to your Thanksgiving dinner, and no one need ever know the stuffing isn't homemade.
thanksgiving, food, holiday, consumer reports, food coach, lori corbin
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 46 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)