Good and good for you: healthy holiday meals
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- All those holiday feasts and sweet treats can give you the unwanted gift of extra pounds. So how about a mouth-watering meal that won't burst your buttons? Here's a good-tasting, good-for-you solution for a special holiday meal.
A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that while most people only gain a pound this time of year, for many, that pound is never lost and accumulates every holiday season.
"We're having fun. We're with family and friends, and we tend to splurge," said registered dietitian Tracey Burg, a former chef.
Burg shows her class how to cook up a holiday dish that may break some unhealthy traditions.
"You can cut back on fat, cut back on salt, and you can stay healthy throughout the holidays, but still have fun," said Burg.
Sear a lean pork loin that's been rubbed in salt-free seasonings and pepper. If you don't like pork, try chicken. While it cooks, start your sauce.
Add apple cider, corn starch and antioxidant-rich cranberries. Top it off with ground ginger, an anti-inflammatory that's good for arthritis. Then cook up some dark leafy greens, like Swiss chard.
"They're also loaded with folic acid, vitamin A, vitamin C and fiber," said Burg.
Throw in some toasted walnuts for a boost of healthy fat, protein and omega-3s.
Serve the pork and Swiss chard with fiber-packed roasted squash and whole-grain parmesan rice pilaf.
"Altogether this is going to be about 400 calories," said Burg.
You can enjoy the most wonderful time of the year without the extra weight.
food, holiday, food coach, lori corbin
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 3 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 1 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged elder abuse
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again
- Aug. trial set for Ohio man in kidnap case
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- Baby bath seats recalled due to drowning fear
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video) 59 min ago