Cheap ways to lose weight without the gym
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Can't afford a high-priced gym? Never fear. Consumer Reports says you can get in shape at home without spending lots of money.
"All you need are a few inexpensive props and a good fitness routine to get started," said Gayle Williams with Consumer Reports.
A stability ball can help build your core strength and improve your balance. You can also use it to tone your glutes and legs, and it will only cost you about $30.
Jumping rope for 15 minutes is an instant cardio workout. A jump rope with nonslip foam handles is the best. Price: Around $6.
Or you can try hula hooping. Not only is it a good cardio exercise, it's also great for your core.
"In 10 weeks I lost 2 1/2 inches off my waist," said hula enthusiast Anne Galletta.
The cost of a hula hoop is also around $6.
"Elastic bands or tubes are another great item to have. You can use them for resistance training to strengthen and tone your muscles," said Williams.
For just $8 and up, it's a good investment.
An exercise mat is also handy. The extra cushioning is helpful for push-ups and other exercises you do on the floor. Mats go for about $20.
Free weights are another useful tool. A pair costs anywhere from $10 to $60.
"If you can, buy two pairs -- a lighter pair to work your arms and shoulders, and a heavier pair to work your back and chest," said Williams.
A good exercise routine consists of 30 minutes of aerobic exercise five days a week and strength training two to three days a week.
"Just put on a pair of sweats, you pick up a pair of hand weights, and you're ready to go," said Anita Bae.
Your heart is in good shape and your muscles are strong, but flexibility is the other component. A foam roller is important because it helps release tight, tense connective tissue that is often responsible for injury. Foam rollers average between $12 and $40.
health, exercise, exercise equipment, food coach, lori corbin
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials 22 min ago
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Cold front moving across Southern California
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film