Veggie chips not always healthier than regular potato chips - Consumer Reports
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Plenty of kids munch on veggie chips, often because well-intentioned parents think they are a healthier alternative to potato chips. But that's not always the case, according to experts at Consumer Reports, who evaluated 18 different chips.
Five of the snacks, which call themselves veggie chips, are actually made from potato flour. And you might be surprised to learn they are not nutritionally superior to potato chips.
"They do have a dash of vegetable powder, which seems mostly to add color. But they have about as much fat and calories as potato chips and a lot more sodium," said Erin Gudeux with Consumer Reports.
They also cost an average 30 percent more. These include Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Straws, Snyder's EatSmart Naturals Garden Veggie Crisps and Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value Veggie Chips.
Consumer Reports says a healthier alternative are chips made from sliced vegetables, like top-rated Terra Exotic Vegetable Chips. They're much lower in sodium and are made from real slices of root vegetables like sweet potato and parsnip.
"Keep in mind, this is not crudité. They're still fried. They're loaded with fat and calories," said Gudeux.
Chips made from beans offer a nutritional boost. Boulder Canyon Natural Foods Hummus Chips stood out in the taste tests.
"And because they're made from chickpea flour, you get some protein and fiber, too," said Gudeux.
Pair these with salsa to get a serving of vegetables without adding a lot of fat and calories. And on those days when only true potato chips will do, you might try Lay's Classic because they came out top-rated in a recent Consumer Reports taste test.
food, health, food coach, lori corbin
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 20 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 53 min ago
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 42 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 46 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 48 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour