How to store fresh herbs to make them last longer
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- While it's fun to grow your own fresh herbs, if that isn't possible, you want to get your money's worth from basil, cilantro, dill and more. One chef shows you how to get more bang for your buck with store-bought spices.
For over 30 years, Suzanne Landry has been a health educator and a chef. Her kids had food allergies. She herself had health issues that she dealt with by changing their diet from processed to healthy homemade.
"I use a lot of fresh herbs, a lot of dried herbs and a lot of dried spices in my cooking," said Landry. "You've got to make it colorful, got to make it very complementary."
Store-bought herbs can be expensive, so Landry showed us how to get the most out of them.
For example, she said there are four fresh herbs you can keep for at least 10 days in your refrigerator if you put them in water. They are: flat leaf parsley, curly leaf parsley, cilantro and fresh dill. Wash the herbs in a bowl, but don't just use the leaves.
"Those four have a wonderful soft stem that is actually quite edible," said Landry.
She uses cilantro -- stem and all -- in her chickpea coconut curry dish.
Put the washed herbs in water in a wide mouth jar and cover it with a plastic bag and refrigerate for the best longevity.
Hearty basil also goes into her curry dish. Use only the leaves because the stems are tough. It, too, likes water and being covered, but keep your basil on the counter for longer shelf life.
Ginger spices up a dish, but it can be a pain to use. Landry says that's not so.
"You just take a cheese grater, a small-holed cheese grater, wash your ginger, of course, but don't have to peel it. Just grate it with the peel and everything," said Landry.
Scoop it in a ball and squeeze the juice out of it. Landry made coconut chick pea curry and California fiesta couscous -- two plant-based dishes featured in "The Passionate Vegetable," a collection of her family favorites.
food, recipe, food coach, lori corbin
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 57 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book
- Lose weight playing video games, study says
41 min ago