Robert Downey Jr's ironclad workout for 'Iron Man 3'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- If you've seen any of the "Iron Man" films, you've noticed it takes a lot of effort to move in an iron suit while fighting off bad guys. Along with special effects, how does Robert Downey Jr. do it?
Downey is back in the third installment of Marvel's "Iron Man."
Playing a superhero requires super conditioning. Downey's trainer for all three "Iron Man" films, Brad Bose, created an ironclad workout to keep in line with the new plot.
"It's really him doing the stunt work, so that's really kind of an important aspect," said Bose.
At Bose's Anatomi Functional Performance Center gym in Santa Monica, he used innovative equipment like the Surge 360 trainer to get results.
"The Surge has pistons on it that gives you resistance, so what happens is the harder you push against it or the faster you push, the more resistance it gives," said Bose.
It provides lean yet ripped muscles for a businessman-turned-Iron-Man look.
Then there are Beast Battle Ropes: Ropes made of rubber tubing, not heavy rope, which should be easier, but there's a catch.
"When you're pulling back on them, they're trying to pull you forward, so what's happening is that you have to really work to keep your feet on the ground," said Bose.
Bose and Downey also created a contraption to maximize bench-pressing with elastics and kettlebells.
And for fight scenes, the Bot Trainer helped out.
"This was made for professional boxers in the MMA to set up a fight scenario so that you can practice the same punches or kicks over and over again," said Bose.
Bose and Downey worked together two-hour sessions three to four days a week. They also incorporated kung-fu and functional training in the mix. Downey put on 5 pounds of lean muscle and lost 10 pounds of fat.
"Just like an athlete has to perform so it gets your body in great, great shape, but it also helps you in everyday life to perform," said Bose.
exercise, exercise equipment, fitness, food coach, lori corbin
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 49 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 37 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal 55 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis