New app shows where popular chefs like to eat
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Would you like to know what and where your favorite chef eats? Well now you can.
Foodies can download Chefs Feed, an app where chefs report in on their favorite spots to chow.
"If you like food and you want to find great food, you should ask those that make great food," said Jared Rivera, cofounder of Chefs Feed.
On the app, you'll find 700 respected chefs in 21 U.S. cities, plus London, photograph and blog where they eat outside their own kitchen.
"They can use their iPhone, upload photos of the dishes," said the app's co-creator Steve Rivera. "Who's better to give you a recommendation than professional chefs who are trained to know food? They have professional palates."
And no, they can't talk about their own food.
"I just found out that David Kinch from Manresa in Los Gatos really loves our grilled cheese sandwich and is part of the whole chefs app thing," said John Finger, Hog Island Oyster Company owner.
Restaurants get a proud plug while tourists get informed. If you're headed to Northern California, chefs gave the thumbs up to Hog Island Oyster Company's oyster trio, Blue Bottle's espresso drinks and waffles and The Slanted Door's daikon rice cake. All three are in the Ferry Building near the Embarcadero.
"The funny thing is that usually it's inexpensive stuff, places that tourists can go and afford," said Margo True, the food editor at Sunset Magazine. "When a chef has cooked all the high-end food all day long, they kind of want a taco."
You can actually go about this a different way. You can type in the name of the restaurant, and then you'll find the chef's name, his favorite foods and where he eats them.
The app is free and easy to navigate. The only downside is fast expansion. The Rivera brothers are adding cities and chefs as fast as possible, but they also want to ensure quality.
The apps are easy to download and you can even find your favorite chef on Facebook.
"You pick the chefs you want to follow," said Jared Rivera.
food, technology, app, food coach, lori corbin
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Moorpark school lockdown: Suspect arrested
- Parents, daughter accused in $7M shoplifting spree
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Bitcoin exchange CEO's death ruled 'unnatural'
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter