Fresh ways to prepare all types of tomatoes
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Got a bumper crop? Time to prepare what you grow.
"I put my tomatoes in the garden in March, and right now my tomato plants are just bursting life," said Paul McCullough, co-author of Roma-therapy.
Twenty-two plants to be exact, which means McCullough and Jeremy Stanford, who wrote Roma-therapy, have a lot to work with. If you haven't got yours into the ground, the time is now. First choose a spot where your plant gets the most sun.
"You want to look to add compost, a little fertilizer, some organic elements, some mulch, you really want a rich, rich, rich organic soil," Stanford said.
Good soil equals good fruit. Stanford says tomatoes need a bit of stress, so don't over water - every 3 or 4 days is fine.
"If you over water, you dilute the taste of the tomatoes," Stanford said.
And if by chance you've produced far more tomatoes than you or your neighbors can eat, beyond canning and jamming, McCullough says, "There's so many applications you can use with tomatoes: fresh, roasted, cooked in sauces."
Roasting is a great way to enjoy tomatoes.
"I'll cut them in half, drizzle with some beautiful olive oil and some sea salt and pepper. Put them in the oven for an hour at 425, and you have beautiful roasted Romas," McCullough said.
It's good for sauces, soups and more. He also makes an unconventional jam, simmering tomatoes on stovetop, adding spices like cumin and jalapeno and turning a bumper crop of tomatoes into zesty tomato jam.
Cherry tomatoes, which ripen quickly, work well in puff-pastry appetizers. Or try making a stacked caprese salad, with heirlooms, Mozzarella, caramelized onion, basil and olive oil.
"I love lemon boys and to bring out the natural sweetness I like to sear them in a pan with some olive oil," McCullough said.
No matter what you choose, growing will save a bundle if you treat them right.
"You're going to pay so much in the market, 7.99 a pound sometimes for these. A tomato plant costs you four bucks," McCullough said.
food, food coach, lori corbin
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 23 min ago
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark 43 min ago
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace 26 min ago
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Mary Barra becomes 1st female CEO of GM 25 min ago
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke